With the return of summer weather, Alberta Health Services EMS would like to remind everyone to stay safe in the heat and sun this season. While children and the elderly may be more susceptible to the effects of heat and sun, basic prevention measures should be taken by all to avoid a heat related illness during periods of hot and humid weather.
- Heat exhaustion can occur due to excessive fluid loss during periods of prolonged sweating in a hot and/or humid environment (indoors or outdoors);
- Patients may suffer headaches, weakness, fatigue, nausea/vomiting, thirst, chills, and profuse sweating;
- The patient is usually cold and damp to the touch and the skin may appear pale, or dusky gray.
- Heat stroke is a medical emergency which, without prompt treatment, could be fatal;
- It occurs when the body can’t cool itself naturally (e.g. perspiration). The body’s temperature will continue to rise to dangerous levels;
- Due to severe dehydration and the inability to sweat, the patient may appear flushed, and skin may be hot and dry to the touch.
- First aid for all heat-related illness begins with removing or sheltering the patient from the hot environment;
- Remove excess, or tight-fitting clothing, and allow them to rest in a cool environment;
- If the patient is conscious and alert, provide suitable fluids such as: water, juice, or a sports drink;
- If you are concerned, seek medical attention or call 9-1-1.
- Stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water;
- Be aware that excessive alcohol consumption will promote dehydration;
- Always wear a broad brimmed hat to keep the sun off your face and neck;
- Apply a broad spectrum, waterproof sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30+, especially for children. The sun’s UV rays peak between 11am-3pm, even on cloudy days.
The Terwillegar Community League strives to promote a friendly community through a variety of programs. This summer TCL and the Magrath Save On Foods are once again partnering to offer free food for a neighbourhood barbeque. With a minimum of seven other participating households, your neighbourhood can sign up to have a great event with the food being provided by TCL. Be active in your community, get to know your neighbours, and have fun.
Join us for our 9th Annual Summer Carnival on August 10th from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm. at South Terwillegar Park!
This is one of our major fundraising events for the year. Your $5 cash admission (per child) provides access to:
- Petting zoo
- Bouncy castles
- Face painting
- Glitter Tattoos
- Carnival Games
- Soccer Events
All proceeds to go toward future projects (such as building ice rinks & playgrounds). Help support your community!
We are still looking for sponsors! If you are interested in sponsoring or volunteering for this event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Join us for an outdoor movie on Saturday, July 13th for Pokeman Detective Pikachu!
Time: 9:45 PM - 12:45 AM.
Location: 7210 South Terwillegar Dr NW
Bring Your Own Seat and Bug Spray. Dress for the weather.
On July 1st, come out to Tomlinson Park from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm for some fun.
There will be games for kids, food trucks, watermelon and other activities in the park that day. The bike parade will happen near the end of the event.
We will also have Canada Day swag available and encourage people to dress up in red and white to showcase their Canada Day pride.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Mar 14 2020: I'm Too Big For It Sale
Feb 17 2020: Family Day 2020
Dec 31 2019: New Year's Eve Celebration
Dec 14 2019: TCL Holiday Spectacular 2019
Dec 7 2019: Great Canadian Winter Family Fun Festival
Dec 5 2019: Terwillegar Community League AGM
Nov 23 2019: TCL Holiday Sale 2019
Sep 21 2019: I'm Too Big for It Sale - Sept 2019
Sep 8 2019: Big Bin Event
Sep 7 2019: Outdoor Movie Night
Sep 7 2019: Big Bin Event
Aug 17 2019: Outdoor Movie: Avengers Endgame
Aug 10 2019: Annual Summer Carnival
Aug 10 2019: Fire Stations Open Houses
Jul 13 2019: Outdoor Movie: Pokeman Detective Pikachu
Jul 1 2019: Canada Day 2019
Jun 22 2019: Volunteer Weed Pull Event
Jun 22 2019: Outdoor Movie Night
Jun 21 2019: Nellie Carlson Celebrates
Jun 15 2019: Community Garage Sale
Jun 15 2019: Volunteer Weed Pull Event
Jun 8 2019: Outdoor Movie Night